My Trip to Chicago – They Aren’t Kidding Around With Their Architecture

Word to the wise, try VERY hard to avoid flying when in the midst of a sinus infection.  My ears are still clogged and I’ve had a serious case of the spins for 2 days now. That’s less of a complaint and more of an excuse as to why I’ve been M.I.A. for longer than expected.

So by now you know I had the opportunity to spend the Easter weekend in Chicago and man was it a good time.  Did you keep up with my Instagramming while I was gone?  They are seriously serious about their architecture.  Fun fact: since most of the city burned down during the Great Chicago Fire in 1871 that “Chicago buildings are noted for their originality rather than their antiquity.”  I didn’t.  I feel like I should have, but I didn’t.

Have you been there?  Do you live there? What’s your favorite spot?  On this trip the best thing we did was head to the lounge at the Hancock Tower.  Instead of buying tickets to go to the viewing deck, we got almost as high up and spent the dough on drinks.  Tada!

Check out Chitown through my eyes (you can click on the first image and view them all in a nice lightbox. Just hit the arrow keys!):

14 Comments

1. Reply
    odyglo April 11, 2012

Wow, these are gorgeous! Really amazing shots!

Ry April 11, 2012

Thank you!! Chitown makes it easy!

2. Reply
    Don April 11, 2012

those shoot-straigh-up shots make-a me dizzy.

Ry April 11, 2012

Seeing as how dizzy I actually am today, I can completely relate. Maybe that’s how I got the inner ear malfunction!

Thanks for stopping by, Don!

3. Reply
    Sanjay April 11, 2012

Great photos! But they still don’t have the Space Needle.

Ry April 13, 2012

Hahah thanks, Sanj! You’re right about that! However, I didn’t get to do the glass balcony at the Sears Tower this time and I have a feeling that’s going to trump most of the tall building/monument hikes that I’ve made so far… boy does that look scary.

4. Reply
    Myrtle April 25, 2012

I love those photos! Actually, Chicago is definitely a nice place and I hope I can have holidays there by next year.. Thanks for the idea..

Ry April 25, 2012

I HIGHLY recommend it. It’s a beautiful city!!

5. Reply
    Heather Osborne April 29, 2012

Great shots! Chicago is really a big city. I think I’ve seen some of those buildings in the movies before. I’m just not sure which movies. :)

Ry May 7, 2012

It is a GORGEOUS town.

6. Reply
    cmichaelsny May 7, 2012

Wow..You had a great experience having this trip you see all the beautiful and nice places in Chicago..

Ry May 7, 2012

Thank you so much! I had a wonderful time in that beautiful city!

7. Reply
    Sarah May 14, 2012

Spectacular photos Ry! Isn’t the architecture amazing there?

Ry May 15, 2012

It really really is. A beautiful city!